Kathleen Laundy Costume Designer
Based on A Passage to India by EM Forrestor. About colonialism.
Country X-endured crimes and oppression by Country Y. Protestors are rioting, streets are blocked. President of X is a puppet for Y.
- B the Heart Surgeon--Female, best heart surgeon in Country X, profiled in a magazine. On call, summoned to the hospital for an emergency. Has to walk there because the roads are closed due to the riots and protests. Is berated by D for being late. Goes to the Temple to talk to G. Strikes up friendship with F. Wants to be open but doesn’t know how much she can trust F. B is sometimes “blinded by charisma” says S. Goes to caves with Q and F. F feels faint and backs out. B goes alone with Q to the caves but they are uncomfortable with each other. B sends Q into the cave first by herself. B is shot at by Q and is later arrested on an assault charge and jailed. The protesters have taken up her cause and H and M are arranging her defense. B is now on H’s side about being friends with Country Y people. Be is on leave from the hospital during the trail. After the charges are dropped she is still not reinstated at the hospital. Fights with F about Q. Tells F that she wasn’t a true friend because she didn’t share her humiliation and forgot that she was shot at and wants her to drop the charges against Q.
- G the Holy Woman--. Is a kind of narrator and Greek chorus of the story. Introduces the actors to the audience. Takes us into intermission and wraps up the story at the end. G is a Religious Studies Professor, has Temple duties, understands psychology. Overhears the conversation between B and F and analyzes it with S.
- H the Hostess--Female. Rich, has a mansion, is hosting a tea party, believes you cannot truly be friends with a Country Y citizen because there isn’t equality. Believes country Y is inherently evil and everyone who tacitly agrees by doing nothing to oppose them is also evil. Believes that all Y citizens should be kicked out of Country X.
- M the teacher--has Country Y friends including F. They both work at the school together. H says he’s a sellout because he works for businesses owned by Y. After B’s arrest he breaks all ties with Y and starts a defense for B to bring attempted murder charges against Q.
- S the assistant--assistant to H. Drives them to the caves. Feels F is “a little lost”. Believes all Y citizens should go back to Y because they are taking X jobs.
- Mosquito speaks to F in the shape of a man only in Act 1. Probably a figment of F’s terminal illness.
- Gecko speaks to F in the shape of a man only in Act 2. Probably a figment of F’s terminal illness.
Country Y-controls Country X, are imbued with privilege
- D The Chief of Staff-- Doctor at the Hospital where B works. Calls B in for an emergency. Berates B because he couldn’t get there soon enough because of the protests.
- F The new teacher--Female, single, a catch. Was married to V (they) but they died. slightly older than Q, moving to Country X to be a teacher at the National School, F&Q agree to explore Country X together. Meets B at the Temple. Knows M from school and D from the Y club. Thinks a small animal crawled up D’s ass and died there. Has been to the caves before, it changed her. She wants to go back. B agrees to take her there. She has a terminal illness. Talks to a mosquito. She was a military brat and lived in country T when she was a child. Has lived in X before. Is uncomfortable with Y citizens. “a little lost”. Feels faint on the trip to the caves, doesn’t go in. Talks to a gecko about her first time in the caves. She was afraid to go back in, she didn’t have a migraine. She goes to Q to talk to her. She doesn’t believe Q’s story that B assaulted her and gets Q to recant. She tries to get B to drop charges but instead ruins their friendship.
- Q the fiancée-- on a ship, moving to Country X to be with her fiancé, R. Strikes up a friendship with F on the ship, F&Q agree to explore X together. Feels like Country X is more authentic. Accuses R and J of using the guise of legitimacy to usurp a country, causes a rift in her relationship with R, walks out on him at the bar. Says R is a completely different person. Goes to caves with B and F. F feels faint and backs out. Q goes alone with B to the caves but they are uncomfortable with each other. Q implies that X is unwelcoming. She babbles. B sends Q alone into the cave first. Q hears noises and is scared. She takes out the gun that R gave her and fires it. She barely misses B. Q is let go. But is despondent. Q says she thought it was R who was in the cave with her and he changed into an animal and she thought he was going to kill her so she shot at him, but it was really B. Admits she made a mistake. Drops the assault charges, but is shunned by the Y people for back tracking. Leaves X and goes back to Y.
- J the security guard=-friend of R. Advised R and Q to avoid local X places due to the riots over the local boy who stole batteries. Working on Q’s defense against the attempted murder charges, tells R to keep Q at home.
- R the fiancé—Fiancé of Q. friend of J. Glad that Q has joined him. Missed her. Hasn’t taken her anywhere local but is jealous of her relationship with F. Doesn’t patronize locally owned businesses, they’re too “down and dirty”. Feels judged by Q for patronizing Y businesses and not taking her to any X places. Has never been to the caves; thinks they’re dangerous. Says when he was back in Y, that they used to read about all the horrible things Country Y was doing in Country X but now that he lives in Country X he feels that those things just aren’t true. Says he hasn’t changed. Defends Q but when she drops the charges, he dumps her.