Just me talking about costume-y kind of stuff
Sarah and her friend Katryna are planning a couples cosplay for Halloween this year. Since all the cons and Renfaires got cancelled this year I'm indulging their every wish.
Katara from Avatar
Sarah wants to be this character from Avatar: The Last Airbender with her friend Katryna. Here's what I bought from Amazon in the gallery below.
Total cost: $115.85
Everything fit except the skirt was about 3" too big in the waist. I'm going to remove the waist band and then take off about 5" from the top to shorten the length without sacrificing the fullness at the hem. Then I have to make the three tabs that hang down from the waist and do the trim on the skirt. The sew it all back together with a smaller waistband. Also I have to make the red choker for the pendant to be sewn on. And she wants me to dye her hair brown.
I made the tabs on Thursday and bought some brown satin blanket binding for the trim. I got that sewn on Friday and then did the skirt trim out of bias binding I made from a darker brown fabric. I reused the old waistband that I'd cut off, cut it down three inches and gathered the skirt and put the waistband back on. I did a fitting Friday night and will attach the tabs Saturday. I also made her a belt out of an old brown strap that was missing its buckle and the new alligator buckle I wasn't using for Sylvan's costume.
Katryna wants to be this character from the spin-off show. Here's everthing I bought from Amazon in the gallery below.
Total cost: $84.81
Everything fit very well except the pants were about 3" to big in the waist. I'm going to dye the shirt a darker blue and make the brown fur thing around her waist. Also we need to cut the fingers off of the gloves. So when I dyed the shirt, it came out great, but two of the metal frog closures came off and a third was about to come off. I resewed the loose one, then reattached one of them but when I turned around to get the other one it had disappeared. I looked for an hour and still couldn't find it so I gave up and ordered more in silver which will match her belt. so now I'm going to have to remove all 5 of them and then sew the new ones on. The silver ones showed up Friday night. I had bought some white piping and silver elastic Friday morning and sewed that on too, and Friday night I sewed the silver frogs on. It is all done and looks great.
Plague Knight from Shovel Knight
Sylvan wants to be this character from his favorite video game, Shovel Knight. I bought everything from Amazon in the gallery below.
Total cost: $170.63
The shirt, pants, and robe fit perfectly and didn't need to be altered at all. After the first fitting I realized that he needed a hood to cover his head so that we couldn't see any bare skin.
Most of the accessories were the wrong color. I had to paint the plague doctor mask green as well as the belt and the pauldrons so that they would match the gloves. I used green Kryolan spray paint for plastic and did two coats. Once all the items were dry, I used black acrylic paint to add more dimension by painting in the areas that would be shadowed like the cracks in the belt (it's an alligator texture) and the edges of the paldrons, and around the eyes and beak of the mask. Then used gold acrylic to sponge over the green. With the beak of the mask I brushed the gold on fairly heavily.
I didn't like the matching black buckle on the belt, so I bought a gold buckle that I like better. The belt is a ratchet belt, so the buckle was easy to replace.
The pauldron straps were not long enough, so I'm going to have to replace them with longer black elastic. In the end I ordered two more belts that had gold buckles but were really just black elastic and used those for straps. I'm also attaching velcro with E6000 to the inside of the pauldrons and sewing velcro to the robe so that they will stay in place better on his shoulders.
Then I had to paint the staff black. I did two coats of black acyrlic and then two coats of Kryolan black gloss spray paint and a final two coats of clear to protect the paint job.
We're making the bomb out of a water bottle and adding a crazy stray inside for the fuse. I'm going to use RIT dye to tint the plastic bottle. The bottom half needs to be green and the top half needs to be purple. Plus he needs a purple pouch to add to his belt, so I'm getting him a Crown Royal bag that will do the trick. He'll wear his combat boots for shoes.
I tried dyeing the plastic bottles Friday with Rit synthetic dye but it just wasn't working so today I'm going to paint the inside of the bottles with mod podge and food coloring. I glued snaps to the inside of the new belt buckles and the outside of the pauldrons to attach it.